Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Almost there...

I am just a couple weeks out of from my due date (even sooner, if my d-day prediction is correct), and I have to say, I am feeling good.  Uncomfortable, yes, but it is not a get-this-baby-out-of-my belly-uncomfortable.  Just the pregnancy norms of not sleeping well, early morning wakefulness, swelling, etc.  I actually ran twice last week, and it felt great!  Much better than the week before, and it gives me hope that maybe I will be able to keep on running right up until my delivery!  

Generally, I can't complain!



This is Ryan and I out for a little evening walk the other night.  We were dropping off my hospital preregistration papers that were supposed to be taken in "no later than 6 months into pregnancy." Oops.  

When people saw this picture, I received a plethora of you-look-so-great-comments that no pregnant lady can ever get enough of- so THANK YOU!

I don't love being pregnant (gasp!).  In fact, I am already counting down the weeks until I can get on my bike again (hopefully before the Chicago weather takes a turn for the worst), and I can NOT wait to go on a real run.  

That being said, this pregnancy has been so much better than the first, and when people ask me, "why?" This is what I have come up with:

1. It was planned. Period.
2. I started off in great post-Ironman shape.  Even when I wanted to throw up all day, I made myself exercise because I just didn't want to stop and try to start up again. I have continued a pretty well-rounded cardio + strength regiment throughout.  
3. Eating well.  I have not deprived myself, as I type there is an empty quart of ice cream in my sink that was one of my meals yesterday.  But, I also haven't gone crazy eating junk food the whole time.  Mostly, I have tried to follow a high-fiber diet, eat more protein/less pasta, and drink lots of water.  
4. Having a toddler!  Half the time, I forgot I was even pregnant because Ryan keeps us all on the move.  Not to mention, the energy it takes to keep a toddler entertained/safe/out of trouble!  
5. No car.  We live downtown and walk EVERYWHERE.  On any given day, I would say I walk 3-5 miles just as a part of our daily living.  Although, I don't consider this a workout, it is most definitely a great form of exercise.  

So, as I head into the final stretch, I feel good...maybe even great! I am so excited to meet this little baby, but a tad anxious thinking about what life will be like with 2 little ones.  I am not signing up for an Ironman next summer, but I have some other goals that I am pretty excited about and will be happy to share later.  

-S.H.M.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

so cute! great post!

mamma mags said...

Definitely agree with number 4!

You are such a fit mama inspiration! Love your attitude. And can't wait to meet baby 2 too!!